Switzerland is a country well known for its stunning alpine scenery, delicious cuisine, and vibrant culture.
From the iconic Matterhorn mountain to lush vineyards and crystal clear lakes, there are plenty of unique places to visit in Switzerland.
1. Lake Geneva
Lake Geneva is located in southwestern Switzerland and half of the lake belongs to France.
The lake is formed by a river called Rhone and it is the largest Alpine lake in Europe.
Lying at an elevation of 1,220 feet, the north shore of lake Geneva forms fertile wine-production fields.
You may also like 📖
Fun activities to do around Lake Geneva:
- See the Geneva water fountains (launching water at 460 feet height)
- See the Chillon Castle (located on the shore of lake Geneva)
- Take a boat or cruise tour on lake Geneva (costs around $50 per person)
- Visit cool local markets around the lake
Matterhorn also referred to as the jewel of the Swiss Alps is a mountain peak located on the Switzerland and Italian border.
When viewed from a side, Matterhorn looks like a giant tooth that goes into the sky.
It is a massive attraction for alpinists but also for photographers because this peak looks out of this world.
Fun activities to do around Matterhorn:
- Take photographs of the Matterhorn from different viewpoints – Townhall Kirchplatz, Kirchbrucke bridge, the old village behind the Hotel Mont Cervin Palace, and from Riedweg.
- Enjoy different mountain excursions, all with a view of Matterhorn – Cable car station Scharzsee, viewpoint Rothorn, Sunnegga, and the highest cable station Matterhorn glacier paradise.
- Visit some of the lakes surrounding Matterhorn – Lake Grindjisee, Grunsee, Leisee, Moosjisee, Riffelsee, Schalisee, Schwarzsee, Stellisee, and Weingartensee.
3. Rhine Falls
Rhine Falls holds the number one place for the most spectacular waterfall in central Europe.
With about 100 feet of fall, these Rhine river waterfalls are the largest in Switzerland. With the help of tectonic shifts, the Rhine Falls were created about 15,000 years ago.
Rhine Falls is located in the north of Switzerland, just below Schaffhausen.
Fun activities to do around Rhine Falls:
- Experience the waterfalls from the Southern Bank – Laufen Castle (Entrance fee 5 CHF)
- View the waterfalls from the Northern Bank – Castle Schlossli (Free entrance, but parking costs 5 CHF)
- Boat ride on river Rhine (costs ranging between 7 CHF and 20 CHF)
- Hike around the Rhine Falls
Grindelwald is a 2-century-old village located 3,392 feet above sea level.
With a population of around 4000, it is one of the highest villages in the Bernese Alps.
Many winter sports lovers consider Grindelwald a go-to place for their winter vacation.
With over 30 lifts and 200 miles of ski trails, and 200 miles of hiking trails, the Grindelwald offers fun activities both in winter and summer.
Fun activities to do around Grindelwald:
- Get on a gondola from Grindelwald to Schwarzhorn and visit the First Cliff Walk which is 100 feet over a sheer drop
- Hike the Eiger trail (3 miles trail at 3000 feet elevation)
- Take a train to see Jungfraujoch (11332 feet peak)
- Hike around Bachalpsee at an altitude of 7431 feet
Zermatt is located on the foot of Matterhorn. This is a hiking and ski paradise.
The ski region of Zermatt is surrounded by 54 mountain railways and 220 miles of ski trails.
What is best about this place is that it is a car-free zone because everything is reachable on foot.
Various gondola rides or ski lifts take you around the place.
Fun activities to do around Zermatt:
- Experience the Matterhorn from Sunnegga’s viewpoint (costs around 28 CHF per person)
- See Zermatt from Rothorn (costs around 81 CHF per person)
- Hike to Blauherd and see the Five lakes
- Ride a mountain cart down the mountain
- For real adventurers: climb the summit of Breithorn (113300 feet altitude)
Lucerne is sited on Lake Lucerne and is the gateway to central Switzerland.
Like most cities in Switzerland, Lucerne is too surrounded by amazing mountains.
Many buildings in Lucerne date back to the 17th century which gives visitors travel to the past kind of experience.
Fun activities to do around Lucerne:
- Ride a car to Mount Pilatus (elevation of 6791 feet)
- Walk the Kapellbrucke (Chapel Bridge dating back from the 17th century)
- Cruise lake Lucerne
- Visit the Old town of Lucerne (amazing old structures)
- Take a train to Mount Rigi (elevation of 5898 feet)
You may also like 📖
Interlaken is a well-known vacation destination located between three mountains, Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau.
People from all over the world visit Interlaken to experience over 45 mountain railways, cable cars to mountain peaks, chair lifts, and ski trails of over 120 miles.
Fun activities to do around Interlaken:
- Head over to Harder Klum (a 4337 feet viewpoint over Interlaken)
- Explore over 600 species of flowers while hiking the Schynige Platte trails
- Visit St. Beatus cave and see the waterfalls
- For adrenaline addicts: Paraglide from a mountainside slope
8. St. Moritz
St. Moritz is located in the Upper Engadine and is elevated 6089 feet above sea level.
Although surrounded by beautiful mountains and endless ski trails, St. Moritz actually became famous for mineral springs that are 3,000 years old.
Fun activities to do around St. Moritz:
- Ski on the endless ski trails
- Ride the Glacier Express (one of the most famous railways in the world)
- Hike around St. Moritz lake
- Hike from St. Moritz to Hahnensee (a two-hour hike 6568 feet above sea level)
- For history lovers: Visit the Engadine museum established in the early 1700s
9. Aletsch Glacier
Aletsch Glacier holds the record for the longest ice stream in the Alps.
This is an amazingly huge ice river 10 miles long that amazes everyone that sees it.
The icy river starts at Jungfrau mountain (13123 feet elevation) and goes down to Massa Gorge (8202 feet elevation).
A fun fact about the Aletsch Glacier is that it carries 11 billion tons of ice.
Fun activities to do around Aletsch Glacier:
- Experience the icy river from various viewpoints including Eggishorn, Bettermerhorn, Moosfluh, and Hohfluh
- No better way to spend a day than Glacier Trekking from Jungfraujoch to Konkordia hut
- See natural ice caves
- Visit the Villa Cassel
10. Engelberg and Mount Titlis
Mount Titlis is located about 22 miles from the city of Lucerne and can be reached by a gondola from Engelberg to Stand.
From there, visitors need to take a rotating cable car from Stand to Mount Titlis.
While it may seem like a hassle, it is all worth it when you reach the top and view the world from 10,000 feet above sea level.
Fun activities to do around Engelberg and Mount Titlis:
- Walk the famous Titlis cliff walk
- Visit Vila Ferratas (an amazing old castle)
- Visit the Rope Park and experience Engelberg from the air
- If visiting in December, you can see the world-class ski jumping tournament
Switzerland has some of the best hiking trails, ski trails, and beautiful lakes. No matter which place you are going to visit in Switzerland, chances are you are going to have the best time of your life.