If you’re looking for a change of scenery from Orlando, and you want to experience some of Florida’s natural beauty, then Cocoa Beach should be on your list of places to visit.
This beach town is located about an hour east of Orlando, and it offers plenty of things to do and see.
There are many reasons why Cocoa Beach should be part of your Orlando vacation but most importantly Cocoa Beach is the closest beach to Orlando and so it is one of the most popular tourist destinations.
Let’s dive in and let you know the reasons why you should visit Cocoa Beach.
Why Visit Cocoa Beach
- Cocoa Beach is the closest beach to Orlando. It is only an hour away and it is a very popular tourist destination. Many tourists go hear to unwind after the endless queues in the main theme parks like Disney World and Universal Studios. Located just 45 minutes east of Orlando International Airport (MCO) you’ll be chilling on the beach in no time at all looking out across the water to Cape Canaveral
- Orlando may be home to some of the world’s most popular theme parks (Disney World, Universal Studios, and SeaWorld), but that’s not the only reason to visit Central Florida. Just an hour’s drive from all the hustle and bustle is Cocoa Beach, a laid-back beach town that offers a refreshing break from the crowds. Whether you want to enjoy the Florida sun or take advantage of the many activities available, Cocoa Beach is the perfect place to relax and unwind. And because it’s so close to Orlando, you can easily visit Cocoa Beach for a day trip or make it part of a longer vacation. So if you’re looking for a change of pace, be sure to add Cocoa Beach to your list.
- Cocoa Beach is famous for its proximity to the Kennedy Space Center and for being one of the best surfing spots on the East Coast. But even if you’re not a surfer, Cocoa Beach is worth a visit. The beaches here are beautiful, and there’s plenty to do, from paddleboarding to parasailing. And if you’re looking for a break from the sun, you can always explore one of the many shops or restaurants in town.
What to Do In Cocoa Beach
Cocoa Beach is a great place to enjoy the outdoors.
There are plenty of things to do, including going for a swim in the ocean, sunbathing on the beach, fishing, and kayaking.
Lori Wilson Park is a great place to start your day.
The park is Free and has a wide variety of things to do, including:
- bird watching
- playing volleyball
If you’re lucky, you might even be able to see a rocket launch from the park.
There are also several kayak tours available in Cocoa Beach. These tours are a great way to see the area’s wildlife up close.
You might even see dolphins or turtles! For something truly unique, consider taking an air tour.
These tours give you a bird’s eye view of the whole space coast and Canaveral National Seashore.
Free Things to do in Cocoa Beach
There are lots to do here but the most notable things to do or places to go in Cocoa Beach include:
- Lori Wilson Park
- Westgate Cocoa beach pier (great photo op) – Forget Santa Monica, Cocoa Beach Pier, and the boardwalk area is awesome, complete with restaurants, bars, and gift shops all on 800 feet extending out over the Atlantic Ocean.
- Kelly Slater statue – get a selfie with the statue of the world-renowned Pro Surfer
- Manatee Sanctuary Park
- Watch a rocket launch from Cape Canaveral.
Top things to do in Cocoa Beach (paid)
From kayak tours to aerial adventures you will not be short on things to do around Cocoa Beach.
Such paid activities include:
- Entrance to the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral. This is a must if you’re in the area of Cocoa Beach.
- Escape Cocoa Beach – not literally, it’s a locked room experience and you will need to piece together the clues to get out of the room
- Ron Jon Surf Shop – prepare to be in awe of this mega Surf Store and empty your wallet. At 52,000 Square feet, this place has everything you need to dress for the sun and sea lifestyle
Places to Eat in Cocoa Beach
Done for the day at the beach or theme park?
You’ll need to get to take a break from all of the theme park cuisine and indulge in freshly caught Atlantic seafood or Italian goodness at one of the many Cocoa Beach restaurants.
If you’re searching for a place to eat in the Cocoa Beach area, be sure to check out the ones mentioned here on this page.
Discover a variety of cuisines, including seafood, Italian food, health food, English pubs, and more!
You’ll discover a wide range of superb cuisine and restaurants in the area, but don’t limit yourself to the area around Cocoa beach.
If you head across the bridge to Titusville or Port Canaveral you’ll find some of the town’s hidden dining gems.
Alfredo’s Paradiso serves real Italian cuisine and is conveniently located in Merritt Island, Florida.
Do consider other restaurants such as:
- The Fat Snook
- Florida Fresh Grill
- The Cove at Exploration Tower in Port Canaveral
Do you have a restaurant you want to list here? Feel free to reach out to us for listing rates (we’re competitive!)
Places to Stay in Cocoa Beach
If you’re looking for a place to stay in Cocoa Beach, we can help!
We guide you on a wide variety of places to choose from, including Cocoa Beach resorts, seafront hotels, motels, vacation rentals, and campgrounds.
Cocoa Beach has 170+ hotels to choose from. Prices start at $90 per night.
Selection includes properties that are perfect for couples, families, groups and those who are looking for an extended stay. Take a look here.
How far is Cocoa beach from Orlando?
Cocoa beach is 60 miles from central Orlando by car, approximately 1 hour via FL-528 E
How far is Cocoa beach from Orlando Airport MCO?
Cocoa beach is 51 miles from Orlando International Airport (MCO) via FL-528 E or approximately 45 minutes.
How far is it from Universal Studios to Cocoa Beach?
64 miles via FL-528 W. The traveling time between Universal Studios Florida and Cocoa Beach is 62 miles.
It takes about 1 hour 12 minutes to drive from Universal Studios Florida to Cocoa Beach.
Closest Beach to Orlando?
The closest beach to Orlando is Cocoa Beach. It is located approximately 60 miles from the heart of Orlando and takes about an hour to get there by car.
What’s the weather like in Cocoa Beach?
The average temperature in Cocoa Beach ranges from 67-84 degrees Fahrenheit throughout the year.
The water temperature averages 73-79 degrees Fahrenheit. The area generally has high humidity.
How to get to Cocoa Beach from Orlando Without a Car
Taking line 104 bus with additional taxi ride takes 1h 56m.
It will cost up to $180 and it takes approximately 1h 6m to drive 59.8 miles from Orlando to Cocoa Beach via bus public transport.
What is the cheapest way to get from Orlando to Cocoa Beach?
The least expensive way to get from Orlando to Cocoa Beach is to drive, which costs $5-$8 and takes 1 hour 6 minutes.
Can I drive from Orlando to Cocoa Beach?
Yes, the distance between Orlando and Cocoa Beach is 96 kilometers.
It will take you approximately 1 hour 6 minutes to go from Orlando to Cocoa. Driving by car is by far the most efficient and quickest way to get to Cocoa Beach from Orlando.
Is there a shuttle from Orlando Airport To Cocoa Beach?
Yes, there is a fleet of private shuttle bus options available from Orlando Airport.
We recommend Cocoa Beach Shuttle which charges $45 for 1 person and $65 for 2 people. You can book in advance for the best service. Telephone number: 321.631.4144
Reasons to Unwind in Cocoa Beach
If you’re looking for a place to relax and unwind after your trip to Orlando, look no further than Cocoa Beach.
With its white-sand beaches and crystal-clear waters, this charming town offers the perfect respite from the hustle and bustle of theme parks.
So take a break from all the excitement and come enjoy some peace and quiet in Cocoa Beach. You won’t regret it!